Khichdi is one pot comfort food, healthy and complete meal in itself which is made from combination of Dal and Rice cooked together till it becomes soft and mushy, just a little thicker then porridge.
It can also be made with broken wheat (Dalia),Bajra, Millets and Oats. In fasting days people make sabudana khichdi.
Also different lentils can be use in khichdi like chana, masoor, urad chilka and arahr.
Personally I like chana dal khichdi but my husband loves moong dal khichdi.
Khichdi is made in different ways in different parts of the country. Some people add veggies in khichdi but we prefer simple khichdi just turmeric and salt added to it while boiling.
And for Tadka we use jeera, heeng and broken whole red chili.
Moong dal khichdi is best served with heeng raita and salad and sometime I prefer to serve it with homemade lemon pickle which is healthier than other pickles.
Moong Dal is also known as green gram or mung beans. It is used as an ingredient in both savory and sweet dishes and in Indian cuisine both the whole and split one are used.
It is highly nutritious and easy to digest.
It contains many health antioxidents including phenolic acid, caffiec acid and more which may reduce our risk of chronicles diesece such as heart attack and diabetic disease .
Preparation Time:- 20 minutes
Cooking Time:- 15 minutes
Coarse:- main coarse
Author:- Hem Lata Srivastava
- Dhuli moong dal 1 cup
- Rice 1cup
- Salt as per taste
- Turmeric powder 1tbsp
For Temperring :-
- Ghee 2tbsp
- cumin seeds 1tbsp
- Heeng 1tsp
- Whole red chili 4no.
Preparation procedure :-
- Wash and soak the dal and rice for twenty minutes.
- Place the pressure cooker on gas add 4 glass water and soaked rice and dal.
- After a boil lower the heat and discard all the dirt which comes on top.
- Add turmeric powder and salt pressure cook it on slow heat for 15 minutes or until it gets soft and mashy.
- Switch off the gas.
- In a pan heat ghee add cumin seeds and heeng as they change the colour add broken red chili. Immediatly switch off the gas.
- Transfer the khichdi in serving pot pour the tadka on it.
- Serve hot with salad and raita.
- You can add some vegetables as per your choice like beans, carrot and potato.
- If you wanted to make thick khichdi add water as you like.
- For tadka you can use sliced onion and garlic also.