In our family we make kyunti ki dal with the mixture of chana dal and urad chilka dal. This dal is to be soaked before cooking. Post soaking, just add salt and cook.
Temper with garlic heeng and dry red chili.
In summers we sometimes add fresh raw mango.
Other days we add dry mango slice to give it nice sour taste. Kyunti dal best goes with chapati along with "algaja" and red chili pickle.
Some people make it with tuar dal but we always use chana dal to give it to creamy texture I never add turmeric powder. Add Just simple salt and red chili powder.
Dal :- Chana and Urad chilka
What is algaja :- Algaja is a simple onion salad. thinly slice the onion and add lemon juice, salt, black salt, roasted cumin powder, black pepper powder, chopped green chili and chopped coriander leaves.
Preparation Time:- 15 minutes
Cooking Time:- 20 minutes
- 1 cup urad chilka dal
- 1 cup chana dal
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard oil
- 8 garlic clove
- 2 whole red chili
- 2 to 3 sliced fresh raw mango
- 1tsp heeng
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- wash and soak the dal for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the dal in pressure cookar along with 2 glass of water and put on gas .
- After a boil discard the dirt on the top, and add salt, mustard oil and red chili powder, cover and cook.
- After a whistle lower the heat and cook for 10 minutes. Switch off the gas.
- Once it cools open the lid and add mango slices then mix well and cook again for 5to 8 minutes.
- For tadka -
- Heat ghee in a pan add chopped garlic and fry until garlic gets little crisp & golden, add heeng and broken red chili.
- Switch off the gas then add pinch of red chili powder.
- Reserve some tadka for garnishing and mix the remaining tadka to cooked dal.
- Serve hot with chapati or rice along with "algaja" and red chili pickle.
- Ensure that the dal has thick consistency.
- You can add turmeric as per your choice.
- If you don't have fresh mango add dry mango slice which is easily available in grocery stores.
- You can also add lemon juice besides mango slice.
- Mustard oil gives it nice aroma and speeds up the cooking process.