Nargisi Kofta is a rich exotic mughlai kofta curry. The recipe is a combination of mutton keema and boiled eggs.
Nargisi kofta curry also known as scotch egg, is marinated mutton keema wrapped around hard boil eggs and braised in spicy rich yogurt gravy.
Vegetarians make it with paneer.
But as you all know that I am very fond of Jack fruit so I made it using raw Jack fruit and instead of egg I used paneer.
I made my own style rich gravy using tomatoes besides yogurt.
As I am vegetarian so I made my veg version of this dish for my son and myself, and for my husband I made egg curry but he didn't like egg curry and instead he had nargisi kofta and he loved it very much.
I was so happy that he liked it.
Kathal/Jack fruit is largely grown in tropical or close to tropical climate, It is largest fruit in the world.
We can use raw jack fruit in various dishes like curry, kofta, kebabas and many more and also make lot of desserts using ripe jack fruit.
Let's start to make my version of dish named veg nargisi kofta curry.
Preparation Time:-20 minutes
Cooking Time: - 35 minutes
Serving :- 4
Recipe Type:- Main course
Author:- Hem Lata Srivastava
- jack fruit 1/2kg
- Paneer/Cottage cheese 400 gm
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder 1tsp
- Chopped green chili 1tsp
- Chopped coriander 2tsp
- chopped ginger 1tsp
- nutmeg powder 1/4 tsp
- Clove powder 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice 1tbsp
- white pepper powder 2 tsp
- Oil for frying
- yellow food colour 1tbsp
For Gravy :-
- Tomatoes 4 no
- Onion 1no
- Chopped onion 2tbsp
- green chili 1no
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Black cardamom 1no
- green cardamom 2no
- Cloves 4no
- mace 1 Piece
- Turmeric powder 1tsp
- red chili powder 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1tbsp
- Coriander powder 1tbsp
- Butter 100 gm
- 1tsp oil
- Sugar 1/2tsp
- Bay leaf 2
- Cashew nut paste 1tbsp
- Kasoori methi powder 1tbsp
- Fresh cream 2tbsp
- Coriander leaves
- Chapati or paratha
- First we need to peel the kathal which is not easy job.
- Apply the oil on your hand then remove the skin of jack fruit then roughly cut them.
- Place a heavy bottom pan on gas add 4 glass water add salt and jack fruit pieces.
- Boil the jack fruit until it becomes soft and mashy. You can boil them in a pressure cookar.
- In the meantime grate the cottage cheese in a large bowl and add pinch of salt, pinch of nutmeg powder 1tsp, white pepper powder and mix it well.
- Take half mixture and add yellow colour mix and keep aside.
- Take a ball and shape each portion into a flat round shape, place the yellow paneer ball in the center, bring the edges to cover it and give an oval shape like an egg. Make all the paneer egg. Keep aside.
- Once the jack fruit pieces cools add to the mixer grinder and make a fine paste.
- Now add red chili powder, nutmeg powder, Clove powder and lemon juice, mix it very well now add coriander leaves , green chili and ginger. Again mix the mixture with your hand.
- Now add bread crumbs in this mixture for binding.
- Divide the mixture into equal portion.
- Now take jack fruit mixture for outer covering take one portion place the paneer egg in the center and bring all the edges together to cover it completely.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry them until golden and crisp on medium hot heat .
- Keep aside
- Boil tomatoes with salt,green chilli, ginger, black and green cardamom, cloves, mace, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds with two glass water for 10 minutes or till the tomatoes gets soft.
- Switch off the gas allow to cool then discard all the whole spices, blend into smooth paste.
- Heat 50 gram butter and oil add chopped onion saute until translucent add turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder stir and add tomato mixture mix well.
- Cook for 2 or 3 minutes then add cashew nuts paste and remaining butter cook another 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add kasoori methi and cream.
- For serving cut the kofta into two place in serving bowl pour the gravy, garnish with coriander serve hot with chapati or paratha along with salad.
- I used bread crumbs for binding you can use roasted gram flour.
- You can make your own style gravy, some people have it as starter so we can also serve as a snack for any party.
- Besides jack fruit you can use paneer and potatoes for kofta.