Beetroot is a root vegetable witch is also known as red beet or garden beet. Beetroot is packed with nutrients. It is great a source of fiber, magnesium, potassium, iron and vitamins. It provides a wide range of health benefits such as reducing BP.
Galaouti means melt in the mouth kebabs made of goat meat mince or chicken mince. The taste of meat comes from marination with spices & herbs and grilled on charcoal or oven. Legend has it that the Galaouti was invented for an old Nawab who lost his teeth and the khansama of Navab made these melt in mouth kebabs for him. Hence the name galaouti or galawati. For Galaouti they used raw papaya paste which is tenderized the mincemeat easily.
But what about vegetarians, there are various options like soya kebab, vegetable kebabs, dal kebabs etc.
Here I have used beetroot for my Galaouti kebabs but I didn’t want to waste anything so I used beetroot peel to make Warki Paratha. And, I also made beetroot salad for my kebabs’ serving.
These kebabs are packed with goodness and are full of flavors. Children who don’t like to eat beetroot, I am sure they will love it. For my Galaouti, I used cashew nut powder to give it nice rich texture. For frying, I used Desi ghee which is healthier then veg oil or olive oil.
Desi ghee has incredible healing properties and is one of Ayurveda’s most treasured foods.
Research proves that ghee has healthy fats giving energy to the body. My son always said "mummy Desi ghee hi khaya karo wo harmful nahi hota". So we normally use Desi ghee in our cooking.
Warki Paratha is a layered paratha which is very similar to laccha paratha. But the method of warki paratha is totally different to laccha paratha. Llaccha paratha is usually folded in circular pattern and then flattened whreas warki paratha is folded in half, many a times to create multiple layers. Usually warki paratha is made of refined flour but as I choose a healthy super food Chukandar so I made it with whole wheat flour.
I also made beetroot salad and here I wanted to mention that this recipe of salad, I learned from my friend Rinku who is a great cook.
I joined this interesting challenge which gives us jolly Makkar. This month the alphabet is c and I choose Chukandar which is Hindi name of beetroot and I made beetroot galouti, warki paratha and beetroot salad.
Ingredients for Galaouti
- Beetroot 2 large
- Cashew nut powder 1 tbsp.
- Roasted chana powder 1 tbsp.
- Salt as per taste
- Chopped green chili 2 no
- Chopped ginger 1 tbsp.
- Chopped onion 2 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp.
- Spice powder 1/4 tsp.
- Red chili powder 1 tsp.
- Fennel powder 1 tbsp.
- Chat masala powder 1 tsp.
- Lemon juice 1 tbsp.
- a handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Desi ghee for frying
Ingredients for warki paratha
- Whole wheat flour 1 cup
- Beetroot skin/peel
- Green chili 2 no
- Salt 1tsp
- Ghee 2 tbsp.
- Brown sugar 1tsp
- Milk 1 cup or as required
- Ghee for frying
Ingredients for salad
- Beetroot 1 no
- Salt 1 tsp.
- Brown sugar 1 tsp.
- Crushed coriander seeds 1 tbsp.
- Chili flakes 1tsp
- Roasted cumin powder 1 tsp.
- Vinegar 1tsp
Instructions for preparation
- First we need to wash the beetroot properly because, we have also used the skin of beet.
- Now peel the skin and keep aside, grate the beet.
- Now heat 1 tsp. ghee in a pan add cumin as they change the colour add chopped ginger, green chili and onion sauté just for two three minutes.
- Add grated beet and salt mix it well, lower the heat cover and cook till it becomes soft and mushy.
- Switch off the gas, allow to cool the mixture, once cools blend into fine.
- Now add red chili powder, coriander leaves, spice powder, fennel powder, chat masala, lemon juice, cashew nut powder and roasted chana powder mix it well.
- Make tikki shallow fry them both side until golden.
Procedure of warki paratha
- Boil the peels with salt till it done. Once it cools transfer to a grinder and make a puree with green chili.
- In a large pan or bowl add whole wheat flour, salt, sugar, ghee and milk, mix everything and knead well to form soft dough.
- Cover and rest it for twenty to twenty five minutes.
- Now roll the dough into rectangle and apply some ghee and sprinkle some flour. Fold it like an envelope repeat the process five to six time or more to have many layers. Cover and keep in fridge for 10 minutes, repeat the process in all you would need to refrigerate minimum two to three times.
- After that roll out the paratha and shallow fry using ghee on medium until golden from both side.
Procedure of salad
- Peel wash and slice the beet using by the grater, slices should be very thin.
- Add salt and keep aside for ten minutes, after that squeeze all the water.
- In a pan add sugar, crushed coriander seeds, cumin powder, chili flacks and oil mix cook the mixture for 5 minutes, add vinegar.
- Now mix beetroot. Put into the fridge.
- serve beetroot galauti with paratha, salad and chutney.
- Here I use beet skin for paratha you can make it with beetroot paste also.
- For paratha I use wheat flour you can use Maida/Refined flour as well
- I have added brown sugar in my salad you can add white sugar or honey.
- This salad is good for 1 month in your fridge.
- I use homemade spice powder but you can use Garam masala instead.
- Onion is optional, you can skip it.
- Besides cashew nut powder you can use almond or melon seeds powder.