We use soaked rice paste along with spices, onion and garlic paste called chauritha or peetha.
In our family we make kathal, gwar fali( salna ki chiyan), kela and various veggitable skins to make sabji in chauritha.
You can also use besan/gram flour but rice paste gives it nice crunchy texture, so we don't use gram flour.
Kathal is a summer vegetable which is grown in bark of the tree. I always love to use small size kathal called kathari, because it absorb the spices much better than the lage size kathal.
As kathal is my one of the favorite vegetable, I love to cook it in various ways.
Jack fruit is a good source of vitamin c, potassium, fiber and minerals.
In this recipe I have used some freshly crushed whole spices for nice aroma.
When we make chaurithe wali sabji first it can be eaten as starter and then it can be eaten with dal chawal.
You can serve it as starter like bhajiya.
When I was a young kid I remember, my father used to bring some unusual vegetables like kolaiya (कोलैईया), goolar and katarua (कटरूआ) which are rarely seen now days and my bhabhi used to make it in a delicious way. I can not forget the taste till date.
In this recipe first we boil the kathal pieces with little salt and turmeric powder.
Preparation Time:-10 minutes
Cooking Time:- 45 minutes
- For boiling:-
- Jack fruit 1kg
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1tsp
- Rice 1 cup
- Ginger 1" piece
- Garlic Cloves 6 no.
- Green chili 2no.
- Onion 2 medium size
- Salt 1tbsp
- Turmeric powder 1tbsp
- Red chili powder 1tbsp
- Coriander powder 1tbsp
- Amchoor powder 1tbsp
- Cinnamon stick 1 piece
- Cloves 4no.
- Black pepper 6no.
- Black cardamom 1no
- Cumin seeds 1tsp
- Oil for frying
- Chopped coriander leaves 1tbsp
- Soak the rice For 4 hours.
- Peel,wash and cut the kathal into medium size cubes.
- Now boil with salt, turmeric powder. Make sure kathal cook 90%. Switch off the gas.
- Let it cook.
- Now drain the excess water of rice and blend into a fine paste with salt, oniin, ginger, garlic and green chili.
- Dry roast the cinnamon, black cardamom, Cloves, black pepper and cumin seeds, once it cools make a course powder.
- Drain the excess water form kathal and mix all the ingredients instead of oil.
- Mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and fry them on medium hot heat till they turn golden and crisp.
- Serves hot with tea or dal chawal.
- Do not over cook the kathal other wise it becomes mashy.
- You can add lemon juice bedside amchoor powder.
- Add spices as per your taste.
- If you don't want to deep fry then take a non stick pan add little oil and shallow fry them until the becomes crisp.
- Always us