I was unaware about the dish Singhada Kachri until i saw in a video on a food group and then i searched for the dish to know more about it.
Singhada kachri is a famous street food from Uttrakhand state and mostly it is famous in Corbet, Kashipur and Ramnagar areas, nowadays you can find some stalls along road sides in Moradabad city which is famous for moong dal chat and brass utensils..
Singhada kachri is a snacks which can be served as a breakfast or evening time snack.
As i am very fond of raw Singhada fruit so wanted to try this yummy chat hence i decided to try my hand on Singhada Kachri
In this recipe we need purple Singhada which is hard naturally, in winters when it is the season of Singhada (or pani fal )you can try this delicious recipe. For perfect taste you need to cook it on slow heat that is the secret of this recipe.
Singhada also known as water chestnut, is a fruit that grows underwater. It is usually a winter fruit. Singhada is very useful for people suffering from jaundice. Since Singhada is rich in antioxidants, it possesses anticancer, antiviral and antibacterial properties. This helps to strengthen the spleen and the stomach and also removes cancer, fatigue, insomnia and bad taste.
Preparation Time:-10 minutes
Cooking Time:- 35 minutes
Serves :- 2
Recipe Type:- snacks
Author:- Hem Lata srivastava
- Singhada 1/2 kg
- Ghee 2 tbsp
- Butter 50 grams
- Chopped ginger 1 tbsp
- Chopped green chili 2 no
- Chopped onion 2 tbsp
- Chopped tomatoes 2tbsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Heeng 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice as per taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
Recipe procedure :-
- Before cooking we need to wash the singhadas properly.
- Now pressure cook them for one to two whistle over medium heat
- Let them cool , once it cools peel the skin and mash with potato masher.
- Heat Ghee in a pan add cumin seeds as they change the color add ginger, green chili, onion saute until translucent.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, cook until the tomatoes get soft and mashy.
- Add mashed singhada, salt, hing and butter, mix it well roast over low heat , when the mixture becomes light brown, keep stirring the mixture while it roasting.
- Before serving drizzle some lemon juice, chopped coriander and butter to enhance its taste.
- Serve hot.
If you are using soft singhada there is no need to boil them just peel wash and grind. Cook until it gets soft and mashy.
You can use tomato puree besides chopped tomatoes.
Butter gives it nice aroma and richness.